Will Power

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Kuszczak Aims To Be Manchester United Number One

Manchester United's Tomasz Kuszczak says he will leave the club if he does not become first-choice goalkeeper whenever Edwin van der Sar retires.

The Poland international is currently deputising for Van der Sar, who has missed the last three matches with flu.

United have been linked with several goalkeepers but Kuszczak, 28, believes he should be made number one when Van der Sar, 40, decides to step down.

"I do not want this to sound arrogant but I think I am good enough," he said.

"I have talked to the boss [Sir Alex Ferguson] a few times and he said we will see what happens at the end of the season.

"I know that in the meantime if I get a chance I have to play well because that is the only way I am going to impress him.

"If Sir Alex Ferguson decides I am not good enough, then I will look for another club."

Kuszczak signed for United in 2007 from West Brom following a season-long loan spell but has had his appearances restricted by the superb form of the evergreen Van der Sar, who is tipped to retire at the end of the season.

United have been linked to several keepers and the club signed Denmark international keeper Anders Lindegaard from Norwegian club Aalesund in November last year while Ben Amos, 20, went on loan to Oldham until the end of the season.

But Kuszczak said he wants to stay and emulate Old Trafford favourite Peter Schmeichel by becoming the club's long-term number one.

"Everything is open now," he told the Manchester Evening News. "It would not frighten me to take over as Edwin's successor. Why should it? I am not new here.

"If I play for this club long-term I will be really happy because that has always been my dream.

"I came to Manchester to try to be a top goalkeeper for many years like my idol Peter Schmeichel."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home