Will Power

Monday, January 10, 2011

Q & A: Michael Owen

Before United's FA Cup tie against Liverpool we spoke exclusively with one-time Kop hero Michael Owen.

Before Sunday's game you'd already been involved in a United v Liverpool Cup tie. What do you remember of that game in 1999?
To be honest, not very much. The games I played for Liverpool at Old Trafford blend into one. Was it a header or a chip I scored that day? [UR: A header]. See, I think I've tried to forget it. All I remember is Solskjaer came off the bench and scored late on, which wasn't a very pleasant feeling.

Not your best FA Cup memory, then?
Ha! No. That would have to be when I won it with Liverpool and scored two goals in the final against Arsenal. And to win it the way we did – we were 1-0 down with about eight minutes to play – made it even better. It was one of those moments, a bit like scoring the winner in the Manchester derby last season, where the adrenaline takes over and everything goes blank.

What was coming to Old Trafford like as a Liverpool player?
For a while Liverpool were getting some good results against United and so often felt confident in those games, but it's like entering the lion's den when you walk out at Old Trafford. Everybody's against you. It's a very tough place to go.

You've not been involved much in recent months, but what have you made of United's performances?
We've played really well at times and then not so well on other occasions. We went on a long unbeaten run, which was great, and now we don't want to lose any more games. It's true we got to the top of the Premier League table without playing our best football, but you can't play well every game. In the last month or so, we've put in a few really nice performances. What strikes me is that this team has so much experience and knows how to win. Playing attractive football is great but it's also important to be effective and grind out results.

So you're confident you'll be adding to your trophy collection come May?
Oh yeah. I don't think there's any doubt among the players. We're all confident in each other's ability and the biggest thing is the depth in the squad. In any given week there are probably five internationals who aren't even getting on the bench – I can testify to that! - so we definitely have the talent.

Liverpool, meanwhile, have looked far from formidable this season. Have you been surprised by how much they’ve been struggling?
Not particularly. I’d say their position reflects where they’re at right now – they’re in the middle of a transitional period and off the pitch they’ve had a change of ownership. I think they’re also very reliant on a couple of star players and if they are out injured then they’ve tended to struggle.

You went back to Anfield for Jamie Carragher's testimonial last year. How was your reception?
It wasn't great, but I was there to pay my respects to Jamie and help raise money for charity. If I'd have wanted an easy life I'd have said: “Thanks, but no thanks.“ The reception was pretty mixed – although the longer I played the less boos I got!

As someone who was once a Liverpool legend, does it bother you that the fans boo you now?
Most people are fine with me but get them in a crowd and that changes. If I meet fans individually a lot say nice things, but parade me in front of the Kop and it's a different story. I don't think you can get a true reflection of people's feelings towards you from going to a football game. Anyway, I think people get a bit carried away with who played for who. Yes, football's a passionate game, but from a player's point of view, you have to grow out of those tribal rivalries. Not every player can play for the team they support when they're growing up. I was an Everton fan.

What do you make of the mock Scouse “insults” the fans direct at you when you score?
I think it’s great. I know there’s no harm meant in those chants and I see it as what it’s meant to be: a joke. The thing is, I’d understand it a bit more if I was a Scouser. I’m not. I guess in many people’s eyes just playing for Liverpool means you’re a Liverpudlian.

Credit: Manutd.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home