Will Power

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Jones Not Daunted By United

Sky Bet are offering everyone a Free £5 Bet
Claim your free bet now

New Manchester United defender Phil Jones is aware he faces a huge task in earning a place in the champions' first team, but is not daunted by the task.

The recently appointed England Under 21 captain cannot wait to get started at Old Trafford and is confident he has not sacrificed first-team football by leaving Blackburn.

Jones, 19, last week completed his move to Sir Alex Ferguson's side for a fee reportedly in excess of £16.5million.

He will link up with his new team-mates, including international centre-back partner Chris Smalling, once he returns from holiday after England crashed out of the European U21 Championship on Sunday night.

Jones said: "I'm not sure when my first day is going to be. I have got to go home first, go on a few holidays and chill out for a little bit.

"Hopefully, I will get a call from the gaffer and I'm looking forward to that.

"Everyone knows they are one of the biggest clubs on the planet. It's a massive move for me and I just can't wait to get started. It's a massive challenge."

Jones will doubtless begin his Old Trafford career behind Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic and Smalling in the pecking order, but he is unfazed by the prospect.

"Chris has shown that you can go in there and play games for United," Jones said of Smalling, who joined the Premier League champions a year ago. "He has done extremely well.

"The gaffer has shown he is not afraid to put young faces in the team. When I get the chance I am confident I will take it."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home