Will Power

Friday, June 17, 2011

Man Utd Target David De Gea Unfazed By Big Transfer Fee

Atletico Madrid goalkeeper David de Gea has said he would not feel the pressure of a high transfer fee if he were to join Manchester United.

De Gea, 20, will reportedly cost £18m and become the second most expensive keeper behind Gianluigi Buffon, who cost Juventus £32.6m in 2001.

"That does not interest me. The value that really counts is what you do on the pitch," De Gea said.

"I feel very motivated that Manchester United are thinking about me."

De Gea, who is on duty with the Spain Under-21 side at the 2011 European Championship in Denmark, made 45 appearances for Atletico Madrid this season and kept an impressive 24 clean sheets in the process.

He is widely thought to be the goalkeeper that United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has pinpointed to replace the recently retired Edwin van der Sar.

"I like the fact that they are considering me as a replacement for a goalkeeper of Edwin van der Sar's calibre," De Gea added.

"I will need to keep on striving and working hard, as I am still in the outset of my career, and I still have much to do at this level.

"I hope I will still be playing when I am his age. It is hard to look so far ahead but it is something I want to do."

De Gea came through Atletico Madrid's youth system and made his first team debut at the age of 18 in a Champions League match against Porto in 2009.

He also won the Europa League in his first season as he helped Atletico to a 2-1 win over Fulham in the 2010 final in Hamburg.

With his current deal set to expire in 2013, Atletico have previously stated their desire to convince De Gea to sign a new contract.

Should their attempts prove unsuccessful, a buy-out clause reportedly in the region of 25m euros (£22m) is in place.

MOST EXPENSIVE GOALKEEPERSContinue reading the main story Gianluigi Buffon - £32.6m
Angelo Peruzzi - £10.5m
Craig Gordon - £9m
Fabien Barthez - £7.8m
Gianluca Pagliuca - £7.5m

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home