Will Power

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Anders Thanks Sir Alex

Anders Lindegaard has thanked Sir Alex and his team-mates for already making him a better goalkeeper.

The Denmark international made some stunning saves in the 1-1 draw against Benfica on Wednesday night and is clearly keen to push David De Gea for the first-team slot. However, he appreciates the competition for places at Old Trafford will only make him better and knows he needs to be ready when called upon by the manager.

"It was a fantastic experience," he said of the Lisbon game. "Like a childhood dream coming true.

"The reflex save I made in the second half, I would never have made while in Norway or Denmark. It just goes to show how much I am improving since I came to Manchester United. Alex Ferguson has helped me a lot. He said to me 'play the game, not the occasion' and it was exactly my approach to the game.

"There is only room for one goalkeeper in the team. I think we have a very good competition - we have at least two top goalkeepers, and Ben Amos as well who is very promising. It is like that in all positions with United and that is how it should be. I am never going to complain about competition.

"David [De Gea] is a great guy to work with. We have a great working environment. I accept the manager's choice every time. He has proven he is the best manager in the world and I will always respect his decisions.

"We are going into a busy programme. We seem to have two matches a week until January and I am ready. If you expect me to say I am happy to be number two, that is not how it is. I am here because I want to be number one.

"If you are good enough, you are going to play. In the end, if I am good enough, I am going to be number one.

"There is a psychological side you have to deal with because it is difficult when you are not playing. You don’t feel as much a part of the team as when you’re playing, you want to win the respect of your team-mates.

"The most enjoyable part of a game like Wednesday is when your team-mates come and say 'well done'. It is not the media or the spectators, it is my team-mates."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home