Will Power

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Lindegaard Enjoys Euro Bow



Anders Lindegaard had "great fun" on his UEFA Champions League debut for Manchester United - but still rued the shot that got away, Oscar Cardozo’s 24th-minute screamer for Benfica at Estadio da Luz.

The Danish goalkeeper put in an impressive shift against the Reds' old foes, pulling off several top-class saves to prevent the Portuguese outfit from adding to their first-half opener. Lindegaard is something of a perfectionist, however, as he explained after the match.

“I am satisfied with my own performance,” said Lindegaard. “I am a bit sad that I didn’t save the first goal as I touched it with my fingertips. It would have been a great save, but apart from that I was satisfied with my performance.”

Lindegaard was happy to make his European bow in front of United’s passionate travelling support, who despite the din of a largely partisan crowd, made their presence known in Lisbon.

“I had great fun and that is the most important part of why I play football. I enjoyed it very much and it was a great night. It is a great stadium to play in with a very loud audience. I could also hear our fans which was nice. This is why I came to United. To play in these kind of games."

After a delightful first taste of European football, it's natural that the shot-stopper wants more.

“I have said one thousand times before - I am not here to pick my nose. Although I came from a small team in Norway called Aalesunds, I am here because I want to play, not because I want to sit on the bench.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home