Will Power

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Smalling Targets Long Stay

Chris Smalling says he wants to stay at Old Trafford for life after making a real impact since joining from Fulham last year.

The defender has adapted superbly to playing right-back and looked comfortable in the position in his first two England appearances over the past few days.

After settling in to life in Manchester, the Londoner would relish remaining at the club for the rest of his career, even though he's still only 21.

In an exclusive interview with Inside United, Smalling said: "I don’t look too far ahead but I hope I can really get an established career and hopefully stay here for the rest of my life.

"I want to get more and more games as it goes on because I really feel part of this club. I’m really enjoying my football at the minute. The manager’s got full faith in me and I want to reward that in the years to come."

The shrewd signing appreciates he is still building on his experience despite an exceptional start to the new season.

"It’s about kicking on when you get chances, like I managed to last year," he explained. "I’m starting to feel like I really belong here and, the more games I get, the better player I’ll be."

Now a fully-fledged member of Fabio Capello's squad ahead of Euro 2012, there is much for Smalling to look forward to in the coming year after making rapid strides in top-level football.

Smalling first season landmarks
8 August – debut, as a substitute in the Community Shield against Chelsea

28 August – Premier League and home debut, as sub against West Ham

14 September – Champions League debut and first United start, versus Rangers at Old Trafford

22 September – first goal, away at Scunthorpe in the Carling Cup

4 Jan – first Premier League start at home to Stoke City

22 May – first Premier League winners’ medal

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home