Will Power

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Jones Handles Role

Phil Jones admitted he was surprised to be plunged into the midfield minefield at Liverpool but felt United deserved a point from the challenging trip to Merseyside.

The England international played at right-back for his country last week and is most at home in the centre of the defence but was asked to do a job in midfield by the boss for the first time since his move from Blackburn.

As he'd fulfilled the role during his time with Rovers, the youngster wasn't too daunted at the prospect and feels he was able to help the champions get a grip on the game with Javier Hernandez's header salvaging a 1-1 draw.

"Yes, it was a surprise," he revealed to MUTV. "But, if the gaffer says I'm playing there, there's no arguments. I'm happy to be playing.

"It's hard as I've not played there in a while. The last time I played there, was for Blackburn quite a while ago but I had to adapt today and I think it was about breaking the play up and making it difficult for Liverpool to play in there because it was quite congested.

"It was difficult today but I thought the lads did well and we deservedly got the point. It's a hostile one and a tough one but we knew that and expected it. We coped with it well, even when they got a slightly controversial free-kick outside the box and they put it in, we still kept at it and found ourselves in the game.

"Chicha's come on and done terrific and got his just rewards. He does it every day in training and is a fantastic guy to work with as well. He was brilliant when he came on."

Jones shrugged off a heavy knock he received when colliding with Lucas towards the end of the first half, even though it threw some doubt on whether he'd reappear after the interval.

"I'm alright," he declared. "I jolted my knee a bit when I clashed heads with someone, I can't remember who it was. I'm fine."

Consequently, the versatile youngster looks set to be included for the Champions League trip to Otelul Galati as he will be able to offer plenty of options to the boss after proving he is comfortable when asked to play in midfield.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home