Will Power

Monday, November 14, 2011

Chicha: United Life Is Amazing

In part two, Javier Hernandez talks to Inside United and ManUtd.com about his love for Manchester United, competition for starting berths and training in the snow.

Missed part one? Read it now in our exclusive interviews section.

Just how much are you enjoying life at United?
It’s unbelievable. In some ways I’m still getting used to wearing this shirt and being around these incredible players, seeing my name on a Manchester United teamsheet... it’s amazing. Some days I wake up and I just can’t believe it. I’m living in this great country, playing for the best club in the world in the best league in the world. I’m so thankful for that.

It’s now even harder to win a spot in the Reds’ attack with Danny Welbeck, Mame Biram Diouf and Kiko Macheda all back in the United squad. How do you deal with the competition?
It’s not a problem. I’ve come to learn that there will always be competition, at any club. You look around on the training pitch and there are almost 30 players, but only 11 can start a game. So it’s tough. You’ll always have disappointments. It helps you improve, though. On the training ground everybody wants to do their best, they want to prove what they can do and earn a spot in the team.

Did you know much about Welbeck before the start of this season?
Yes, I’d seen him play quite a few times, and not only last year when he was on loan at Sunderland. I remember when I was in Mexico and I was watching Manchester United on television – Danny was just starting to come into the team and be given a few chances. You could see he had a lot of potential then, and was improving all the time. He was a good prospect then and now he’s even better. He’s had a great start to the season.

You haven’t scored from outside the area for United yet – though we know you can score those goals from your time at Chivas! What are the chances that you’ll fire one in from long-range this season?
You never know! I think part of the reason I haven’t done that yet is because of the instructions I receive from Sir Alex. My job is to play very high, right on the last man. To be honest I don’t mind how I score goals – whether or not you score from one metre or from the halfway line, it counts the same. A goal is a goal.

You’ve been a very busy footballer in the last few seasons, playing in summer international tournaments as well as the regular season. Do you ever worry about doing too much, or are you happy you get enough rest?
No, not at all. I love to play football. If somebody wants me to play in outer space then I’ll do it! I’d be happy to. Sometimes you can look at the schedule for Manchester United and for the national team and think, “Wow, this is a lot.” But I grew up wanting to play football and now I’m lucky it’s my job. I love it.

Sometimes players from the warmer countries can’t get used to the climate in England. Are you ready for your second Manchester winter?
It was very different! Very cold. I’d never seen a winter like that anywhere. It was the coldest one for many years. And maybe it felt even colder for me because I spent something like 22 winters in Mexico and a winter in Mexico isn’t like winter at all. It never snows! Training in the snow was a bit of a challenge, but it was all new to me so I enjoyed it.

Winning the 19th league title last season was a huge achievement for United. Can this squad lift the trophy again?
I’m sure we can do it. We have a lot of young players who are hungry to do well, and that helps inspire the rest of the squad. They may have been here for many years and won a lot of trophies, but they still have a lot of desire. I think we have a good mix of youth and experience, and that will be very important for us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home