Will Power

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Young Thrilled By Goal


Ashley Young was delighted to get on the scoresheet during Tuesday’s 2-0 win over Cardiff City and move closer to his targeted goal tally for the season.

The United winger was a standout performer against the Bluebirds, providing the cross which led to Robin van Persie breaking the deadlock in the sixth minute before netting the winner with a powerful 25-yard effort in the second half at Old Trafford.

Young has now scored three times in his last seven appearances, a fine run of form that has seen the England international catch the eye in recent weeks. Speaking after the final whistle, he was understandably elated with his goal and a good win.

“It ranks up there with my best,” Young told MUTV. “As soon as I struck it, I thought it had a good chance of going in and I think I was celebrating before it hit the back of the net. I’m delighted to get on the scoresheet, but the most important thing was getting the three points and we’ve done that. Of course I should score more. I set myself targets at the start of the season and I’m on the way. Hopefully I can build on that, so we’ll have to wait and see.

“We could have had a few more goals but we set out to get the three points and we’ve done that. We were frustrated that it was only 2-0, we spoke about it after the game and there were more goals to get. We got the victory and felt comfortable, so we’re delighted. We will build on this.”

When quizzed on Young’s sensational strike, manager David Moyes was clearly impressed and heaped praise on the 28-year-old winger, explaining why his attitude and output will him earn a regular starting berth if mixed with consistency.

“Everybody knows that Ash is capable of that and I am pleased for him because he worked hard tonight, there is a lot of competition for places and he is pushing hard to play,” Moyes told MUTV.

“He will do if he keeps coming up with some goals or creating goals. Ash put the cross in for Antonio Valencia to hit the bar which led to Robin van Persie’s goal, so he had an assist in one and scored the other. Well done to him.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home