Will Power

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Mourinho Reveals Mata Regrets

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has admitted he regrets not being able to make Juan Mata a better player on his return to Stamford Bridge.

The Spain international completed a £37.1m move to Manchester United on Saturday after failing to secure a regular place in the Chelsea side under Mourinho, despite being named the club's player of the season for the last two years.

Mourinho has preferred Oscar to Mata and he admitted he had no choice but to sell Mata after forcing him to play out of position.

"I am sorry that I didn't make him a stronger player. Maybe it was something new for him, not to be a first choice (player) in a difficult moment," said Mourinho.

"Maybe that made him, as a man, as a player, stronger but I gave him nothing to be honest and I feel sorry with that.

"I tried to make him play in a position where he was not comfortable. He gave everything and played some good matches in that position.

"We are speaking about a world champion, a European champion. It is difficult for him.

"I feel sorry for that and because of that I feel we couldn't stop him going to Manchester United, despite being Manchester United's direct rival."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home