Will Power

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Shaw Determined To Make His Mark

Luke Shaw has been reflecting on his first few weeks as a Manchester United player, having made his debut during the club's pre-season tour of America.

In this exclusive interview with ManUtd.com, the defender talks about his rapid rise in top-flight football, his move to Old Trafford and adapting to life with Louis van Gaal's United...

How did it feel to make your first appearance for United on this tour?
It was great, I think it was really important to get that first 45 minutes under my belt [against LA Galaxy] because I had only trained for three days. To play my first game in front of that huge crowd was something different for me. The fans were amazing. Even though we're here in America, there are so many United fans everywhere. That's something I've noticed. That's obviously true in England too but in America and I'm sure around the world there are many more and that's something that makes me realise just how big the club is.

Did you feel any pressure, having to play your first 45 minutes for United close to the touchline where your new manager was sitting?
Not really pressure, no. The main focus for me at the moment is to get back my full fitness. I didn't feel fully fit for the Galaxy game because it was my first match and I had only trained for three days before it. But that's what pre-season and these games are for, to get fit. My main priority is to hopefully get more minutes under my belt and when the season comes I'll aim to be flying by 16 August.

Were you pleased with the way you played in terms of your role and the instructions you were gone?
I could have been more pleased. I don't think it was the best 45 minutes I have played. I know I can do much better than that and I'm sure I will. I'm not making excuses but it was only my first 45 minutes. But it was great to play in front of the gaffer and in training too. Everyone's trying to prove a point and stake a claim for the starting eleven.

The games are getting bigger in terms of the opposition - how much are you looking forward to playing against the champions of Europe, Real Madrid?
I'm really looking forward to it. Considering it's a pre-season tour, the teams we are playing against are unbelievable. Roma and Inter are both big teams but I think the one everyone looked forward to is Real Madrid. You see the stars they've got and it will be great to put myself up against them and see how I deal with it.

Training with star players every day will be good preparation for that…
Yes, I think that is helping me a lot. It's like when I went away with England, I was training with the best players in the country. It wasn't for a long period of time but it was long enough to make me think 'this is what I want to be doing'. It's great to be here and training with world-class players every day because I’m sure that will only improve my game.

You made your debut for Southampton only two years ago, so has your journey to United felt like a meteoric rise or a natural step in your progress?
It feels like natural progress now because it was a long time coming. I knew that United were interested and it was something I wanted to get done before I went to Brazil for the World Cup. But it didn't happen so we got it done when I got back. Then I had a week to catch my breath, to think about the World Cup and look ahead to the coming season. It was important for me to sit down and think about things. It's been a massive two years and I wouldn't have done it without my family. They've been a massive part of it for me. I've got to do it on the pitch but my family have had to travel a lot to take me to training and to games. It's something that I thank them for and they know that. It's been a crazy two years and I'm just looking forward to playing for Manchester United and pushing on now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home