Will Power

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Van Gaal Likens Di Maria To Robben


Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has likened the arrival of record signing Angel Di Maria to his capture of Arjen Robben for Bayern Munich in 2009.

The Argentinian can play wide or centrally and, like Robben, is capable of terrorising defences with his dribbling ability. After Robben also starred for van Gaal's Netherlands side, it is clear the boss envisages his new man having a similar to impact to his fellow former Real Madrid star.

"I have bought Di Maria because he can play inside and wide," confirmed van Gaal at a press conference following the Capital One Cup exit at the hands of MK Dons. "It's very handy is that for a coach.

"So maybe you remember when I was trainer-coach of Bayern Munich, I bought Arjen Robben, also in late August. He could also play on the wings and inside so then I have always the opportunity to change [tactics] but that is a process."

However, van Gaal is not sure whether he will alter his system and formation to accommodate the South American talent. When asked if he may switch to a 4-3-3, he replied: "That’s the process. I cannot clarify because we have to see in the process what we are doing. Exactly what I am saying is you cannot click your fingers and switch to another system. You are working and have to train with it.

"It’s a matter of time because the process needs time and we shall see if, with Di Maria, we have to change the system or not. I think he shall contribute very much in our way of playing, he is also a creative player. I think that he can contribute and that’s very important but we don’t want expect, from tomorrow, that the world has changed – no. He needs to get used to the culture of the Premier League and to the philosophy of Manchester United."

Encouragingly for United fans, the boss also admits the spectacular signing could make his debut during's Saturday's Barclays Premier League showdown with Burney - if he proves his fitness in training.

"I have spoken shortly with Di Maria because I have to go to this match at 10 o’clock and the bus was leaving," explained van Gaal. "He was at my hotel and I spoke very shortly and he said he was physically well. I have to see that [for myself] as he didn’t train today. Tomorrow, he shall participate in our training session. I shall see and speak more with him."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home