Will Power

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Lingard Backs His Ability To Succeed

Jesse Lingard is backing his ability to break into Manchester United's first team, despite the intense competition for places in Louis van Gaal's line-up.

The 22-year-old has recovered from a knee operation and was influential in Monday's Barclays Under-21 Premier League win over Liverpool. After being on the first team's bench for the recent match at Yeovil Town, the 2011 FA Youth Cup winner believes the time is right to catch the manager's eye again.

"It's obviously amazing to be back," Lingard told MUTV. "It's been good and to get the three points is the cherry on the top really because it was against Liverpool.

"I think I'm very close now [to full fitness]. I started the Norwich game and played about 70 minutes but began cramping up. I had a behind-closed-doors game and played the full 90 minutes in that, and another 90 minutes here, so I feel really good.

"The physios and backroom staff worked with me from day one to get the knee right. I don't think the boss wanted to rush me into any games really, especially as he said I would come back at the end of the December when, in fact, it was the start [of the month]. I thought the boss didn't want to rush me and now I feel it's the right time to get back playing."

Lingard started van Gaal's first competitive fixture - at home to Swansea City last August - in a right-sided wing-back position but on Monday night he played at the tip of a diamond formation against Liverpool, his favourite role.

Such versatility could prove to be an asset as he continues to push on at Old Trafford.

"I like getting on the ball and making things happen," he explained. "It was hard in the first half due to Liverpool's two sitting midfielders but we broke them down in the second half with our game plan.

"Obviously, Juan [Mata] plays there and Wazza [Wayne Rooney] can play there as well," added Lingard, referring to the role behind the strikers. "But I'll keep doing in training what I do, day in and day out, and back my ability."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home