Will Power

Monday, June 22, 2015

Pereira Reflects On A Year Of Personal Progress

Scoring for Brazil in the final and collecting a runners-up medal at the Under-20s World Cup capped what was a vitally important 2014/15 season for young Manchester United midfielder Andreas Pereira.

Shortly before he travelled to New Zealand for the tournament, we spoke to the club's Reserve Player of the Year for this exclusive interview that first appeared in Inside United magazine...

How do you feel the season went for you and for the Under-21 team?
I think the season went really well for me. I’m really pleased with how everything was. We did well as a team too and that’s the most important thing.

You had your first taste of senior action in the Capital One Cup at MK Dons. Although it ended in defeat, did you feel you performed well on your debut?
Well, it was a great feeling to come on and make my debut with the senior team but the result was not that good. We have learned from the defeat and can hopefully go on.

Of course, you have been a regular with the Under-21s – has it helped that first-team players have often been involved in the matches?
A lot of the players have helped me develop a lot and it’s good to train with the first team and then play with the Under-21s because I can put to good use in the Under-21s what I have learned.

Which of the first teamers has helped you the most?
Michael Carrick and Ander Herrera perhaps but all the players help me out a lot. Especially all the midfielders because I play there.

Your game appeared to develop considerably during the season. What do you put that down to?
I think it’s because I keep working hard and keep believing in myself. The people at United, the staff, trust in me and give me feedback and help me. It’s a consequence of hard work.

Warren Joyce is very keen to emphasise the need to work hard off the ball and this is one area where you have matured. Has that helped make you more of an all-round player?
Yes, of course. Warren has always helped me a lot. I have to thank him for that. He helped me become the player I am today.

Your ability on the ball is impressive and you have become a regular in our weekly Trickbox feature on ManUtd.com. Do you work hard on your skills or do some of them come naturally?
I like to do skills and hopefully I can keep doing them.

Your father was a professional player – how much of a help has he been to your career?
A lot because he has the experience. He has been through the football life. He can help me with everything and, when I’m home, we speak about football so it’s very good.

You’ve seen other colleagues get their chance as well – are you friends with Adnan Januzaj and do you both discuss your progress?
Yeah, I’m good friends with Adnan. He tells me what to do sometimes and has helped me a lot.

We saw a post on social media from you along the lines of ‘You’re frustrated but nobody cares. Work harder!’ We felt this was a wonderful attitude for any young player to have. Can you talk us through that please?
Of course. When you’re frustrated and think things are not going well, you just have to put your head down and work harder because eventually everything will come right.

Your Premier League debut came against Tottenham. Was playing at Old Trafford in front of a full house everything you dreamed it would be?
Yes, it was like a dream come true. I was very happy with the moment against Tottenham when I could come on and we won the game as well – that was important.

You were kept busy during your appearance – Opta’s data showed you had a faster average speed than anybody else on the pitch! Did it feel quite hectic?
To be fair, when I came on the pitch it looked like I was dreaming. I felt like I was playing a video game then, afterwards, I got used to it. I wanted to help the team. I didn’t think about getting tired as I was just running as hard as I can.

How comfortable were you in a wide midfield role? You’ve suggested you feel you can become a winger?
I can play on the wing or in midfield. It’s just a case of wherever the manager asks me to play, I’ll play.

Where do you see your long-term position?
I think I could be a good attacking midfielder.

Are there any areas of your game you would like to improve on?
Yeah, I would like to improve a lot of things. I have to improve, for example, my passing. I want to improve on everything I do.

How much practice do you do on your set-pieces and are they an important part of your game?
They are and I practice them every day.

What did it mean to sign a new contract with the club? Were you always fully focused on the football anyway rather than your future?
I was focused on the football anyway and everything that comes with it but when I signed I was very pleased to finalise the contract. I hope I can continue my form like this and do well here in the coming years.

How proud are you to be representing Brazil in the Under-20 World Cup after previously playing for Belgium at youth level?
I’m very proud.

Do you have any Brazilian idols from the past?
I always liked Kaka.

What are your long-term aims? Do you believe you can break into the team for 2015/16 now you’ve been in and around the squad for some time?
Yes it’s about breaking into the first-team squad. After that, I have to work hard to get into the first team and, following that, we will see.

Finally, what does it mean to you to be a Manchester United player?
It means a lot. I’m very proud to be a Manchester United player. I always dreamed about it. Now I am happy I can live my dream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home