Will Power

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Like Father, Like Son

On Father's Day, ManUtd.com's Adam Marshall asks whether it is easier or harder to succeed in professional football when your dad also played the game...

Trying to make your way in the game while having a famous footballing father has always struck me as being something of a double-edged sword.

There may be accusations of nepotism, added pressure and a sense of hostility among your rivals but the benefits of having somebody there to offer first-hand advice and encouragement must be considerable. And that is without mentioning any possible genetic advantages!

A number of Manchester United's current squad are sons of professional players, such as David De Gea, Sam Johnstone, Daley Blind, Juan Mata, Ander Herrera, Andreas Pereira and Javier Hernandez - as well as Radamel Falcao, who spent last term on loan at Old Trafford from Monaco.

Blind's father Danny spent 13 years at Ajax, winning the Champions League in 1995, and was also a defensive mainstay for the Netherlands. I asked Daley the question - was it easier or more difficult to make his way with the Amsterdam giants as a result of the family tie?

"I think, in football, maybe it’s a bit harder," he opined. "People look first at your name if it is on the teamsheet and say: ‘Oh, it’s Blind’s son’. People are watching you more than any of the other players in the game. But I never felt any extra pressure or something like that. I really enjoyed it. I am really proud I wear the last name, the surname, and there are also a lot of positive things about it."

The Dutchman was able to block out any cynicism from opponents and ignore any snide remarks. "They were saying: ‘You play with Ajax because of your dad’ and only that kind of simple stuff. But I never felt anything about it because it just happened. I was okay with it as I know what I can do."

Promising midfielder Pereira, who signed a new contract with the club towards the end of last season, could only see positives from growing up with his Brazilian father Marcos, who spent the latter part of his career in Belgium, where Andreas was born. "He always took me to the games and he teaches me everything," said the 19-year-old. "He is an important guy in my life for football. He always said to me to play football.

"I was very proud of my dad as a footballer. It was good to watch him play so I learned a lot as well. So, for me, it's a good thing. He helps me if I have any questions. I ask him because he has been through the same things so he knows already what is coming and what they expect from me because he has experienced it already."

“I WAS THINKING 'ONE DAY, I WOULD LOVE TO BE LIKE HIM'.”
– Juan Mata

Of course, there is also the fact that following in your father's footsteps in his chosen field can be considered an ambition for any child. Growing up surrounded by a footballing environment and becoming accustomed to a world that must seem extremely exciting for anybody at an impressionable age must have added to the obvious allure of competing in the sport.

"My dad [Juan Manuel Mata Rodriguez] used to be a footballer as well," said United star Mata. "That's why I started to play. I remember him playing, going to the stadium to watch him, and I was thinking: 'One day, I would love to be like him'. I think it all depends on the kid. You cannot force a kid to play football or any other sport. I played football because I loved it and because my dad was playing. He was obviously a big influence but he didn't tell me: 'You have to play football'. He just said I must be happy and do what I love to do. Now I am doing it."

Surely, for some, the weight of a particularly famous surname may provide an extra burden. There are some players who inevitably struggle to emerge from their parent's shadow because of the fact that name is unique or intrinsically associated with the game. Jordi Cruyff, for instance, was always determined to be known by his first name. Former United youngster Jack Barmby, now with Leicester City, was fully aware of the fact it is easy for journalists to constantly refer to his father.

"Sometimes I do think, they say: ‘Ah, it’s Jack, son of Nick’, all the time," he stated. "But I don’t mind it at all. I expect it now but sometimes think they could maybe say it the other way around. I think it’s obvious that happens because my dad has played at the highest level and they do expect a lot sometimes. It can be good but there is also a bit of pressure. However, what my dad always said to me was doing it the hard way is always the better way. He said if you can do it the hard way and make everyone see how good you are, you can give credit to yourself for that in the end."

Reds legend Peter Schmeichel has seen how Kasper, very much a talented goalkeeper in his own right, has had to endure comparisons with somebody who is universally acknowledged as one of the best exponents of the trade. The younger Schmeichel proved his worth with Leicester City in the top flight last term but, even now, some of his saves naturally evoke images of the United icon and this is often mentioned in commentary of his matches.

"I can go and watch Leicester games and I’m not that guy anymore, Schmeichel the goalkeeper," said the 1999 Champions League winner. "I’m Kasper’s dad. It’s unfair if players with well-known names are not judged or reviewed in the same way as everybody else. I can understand those players looking at how easy some other players get it and ask: 'Why is that?' At the end of the day, when it comes to my son, I think it has been to his benefit and made him stronger mentally. As a goalkeeper, you have to be tough anyway."

“MY DAD WAS MY BOSS AT WORK BUT, WHEN WE CAME HOME, HE WAS JUST MY DAD.”
– John Aston Jnr

Two other ex-Reds in the Premier League era have sons who have also competed in the division - Paul Ince (Tom Ince) and Steve Bruce (Alex Bruce). Only one father-and-son combination have ever represented the club's first team - John Aston and John Aston Jnr. For the Man of the Match in the 1968 European Cup final, there were more issues associated with working under his father as a trainer, something Darren Ferguson would later encounter with Sir Alex.

"I never thought of it as a hindrance really," explained Aston Jnr. "I mean obviously having a dad who played for United and England meant it was something I wanted to follow. I was a big United supporter. The only hindrance came later on. It was very difficult being the son of your actual trainer. When I went to The Cliff, my dad was my boss really so that posed some difficulties. But I don't think I was aware of it at the time with any favouritism or whatever.

"I think the problems don't come from you - they come from other people who are thinking you might be treated favourably. I have to say it never bothered me because we had two compartments - my dad was my boss at work but, when we came home, he was just my dad so I could slot things into different worlds. The extra pressure came from my own dad really - if there were any decisions in training, even in little things like five-a-side, he would always err on the side of the other person. We were having to work hard and, if anybody wasn't doing the job, I would always be the first one pulled out."

Aston, who lifted the title with the Reds in 1967, 15 years after his father, is acutely aware of any problems footballing sons may encounter as they attempt to emerge from the shadow of their famous parents and had some words of advice.

"In a way, you're not your own person," he reasoned. "You are part of a dynasty almost, even if it may only be one generation. It's very difficult to have your own identity. I think that's one thing - you have to forge for yourself really, especially in my situation where we were both at the same club. But one of the proudest things that we achieved, my father and myself, was winning the league. Alex Herd and [another ex-Red] David Herd did it but, for us to do it with such a famous club at United is really special."

The first step must be for the son of a United first-team player to also make it into the starting XI in the future and match the Astons' record. Some have come close, Paul McGuinness and Alex Bruce for instance, but, with the spotlight and scrutiny reaching new heights, it will take a strong character to deal with the attention that will inevitably follow the nearer they get to achieving this goal. In the meantime, more and more Premier League stars' children appear to be attempting to make their way in the game, which is a natural development.

Joe van der Sar is with Ajax after starting out at United during his father's time here. "He plays for the Under-17s now and he's really enjoying it," said Edwin. "My son is coming to an age where he is being worked hard to hopefully, for himself, reach a level so that he can achieve good things."

Raimond van der Gouw's son Ennio played for FC Twente against the Reds in the recent Marveld tournament. And that is just the goalkeepers! Time will tell if somebody can one day match the Astons' feat - the fact it has remained unique perhaps betrays how difficult it really is to follow in your father's footsteps at the highest level of professional football.

All quotes are exclusive to ManUtd.com.

Credit: manutd.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home