Will Power

Friday, July 31, 2015

Van Gaal Reacts To United's Defeat To PSG

Although Louis van Gaal was frustrated by the individual errors that led to Manchester United’s 2-0 defeat to Paris Saint-Germain, the manager was pleased by his team's performance and hoped the result would eventually prove beneficial.

The Reds were vying to retain the International Champions Cup and would have done so with any kind of victory over the French champions. Unfortunately, an own goal from Luke Shaw and another strike from Man of the Match Zlatan Ibrahimovic put paid to all hopes of lifting silverware.

Van Gaal held a press conference following the game at Soldier Field in Chicago – the last fixture of Tour 2015, presented by Aon – and, as always, the boss answered all questions with a great degree of honesty, intrigue and emotion. He also remained positive about United’s performance.

“I am really satisfied about the performance,” the boss told reporters. “Yeah, we lose, but maybe that is also good because last year we won everything [on tour] and then we lost the first match in the Premier League. Now the sequence is a little bit different. But I am not superstitious.

“In the first half we created more chances than Paris Saint-Germain. They only created chances with errors, personal errors, and you cannot fight against personal errors when you are playing at the top level. They can score out of these kinds of errors, and they can finish the game. You have seen in the second half when they played the ball wide and back, rather than up front. A top team can do that.

“But I have to say I have seen a lot of very good things from my team. So in the pre-season it is more about the performance than the result. I was rather satisfied. It is better when you win, of course. Against Barcelona, we could have been 2-0 down and we scored the first goal. Between top clubs, it is who scores the first goal. Then you have a great possibility to win the game.”

United’s next match is the Barclays Premier League opener against Tottenham Hotspur at Old Trafford on 8 August and van Gaal must now decide his starting XI for that tricky game. One thing he is certain of is the formation – although he admitted centre-back Phil Jones could miss out.

“I have to start with the formation and when the formation is doing well, I let them play in that formation,” the manager explained. “I think I shall play [Luke] Shaw with [Matteo] Darmian, and with Daley Blind. The right central position I have to consider. I am very pleased with the performance of Matteo Darmian, and you can see he can play on the right and left.

“Also, a benefit of this year’s tour is that we don't have any injuries. Last year I was forced to use, for example, Tyler Blackett and Jesse Lingard in the first Premier League match. Now, I have a wider selection and I can use everybody who I think I have to use. There is more competition now and there is more balance in the selection. I have a lot of confidence to start the competition.”

Quizzed on Blind’s performance at centre-back, a position he has occupied all summer, van Gaal praised his fellow Dutchman but explained why his versatility could lead to him playing elsewhere.

“I was very pleased with his performances, not only this evening but also the former performances,” van Gaal assessed, looking back on the tour. “I think he can build up the game better from that position and he defended very well. I think I shall use him there, but also in midfield and also at left full-back position. I am pleased with his performances over here in USA."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home