Will Power

Friday, September 25, 2015

Smalling: More To Come From Me

Chris Smalling has arguably been Manchester United’s best and most consistent performer this season, although the flourishing centre-back is continually self-effacing and gives his performances a mere seven out of 10 rating when quizzed in Saturday's United Review.

But despite his modesty in the matchday programme, there is no doubting Smalling’s development and emergence as one of Louis van Gaal’s most trusted allies at Old Trafford, particularly after wearing the captain’s armband in the absence of Wayne Rooney and Michael Carrick.

With the Reds placed second in the Barclays Premier League ahead of Saturday's match with Sunderland, Smalling is confident of achieving both personal and collective success going forward.

Asked to assess his fine start to the season, the defender says: “Yeah I am happy that I have been able to play in every game so far and that is what my aim was at the beginning, especially after the disappointment of last season and the injuries that I had to start with.

“It has been nice to get a consistent run and I am enjoying my football at the minute. I would go with a seven out of 10 so far. There is definitely more to come. I am hoping that I can keep kicking on and improving each day, keep clocking up the games and contributing to the team.”

Smalling’s development has aligned with van Gaal’s reign at Old Trafford and the Dutchman’s approach to man-management has clearly benefited the England international. “He has helped me a lot,” Chris says. “He is very honest about what your good points are and what you can improve on.

“That is very refreshing to hear. When he first joined the club he said that after six to eight months of working, when we know what he wants, then we will improve as a team.

"We have obviously improved on the start of last season and, as a player, I definitely feel that I have improved as well. I think he is a manager that improves a lot of players.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home