Will Power

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Mata: The Best Things About Britain

Juan Mata joined Manchester United from Chelsea two years ago this week and has further developed his liking for English life during his time with the Reds. In this extract from an interview for Inside United magazine, the Spaniard talks about the places, food and music he's come to appreciate over here...

You’ve been in this country for over four years and while you are a proud Spaniard, we like to think of you as an adopted Englishman. Do you feel English at all?
No, I don't. I feel like a Spaniard living in England - but I am very happy to live here. I have been very happy to adapt myself to the English culture and I think it’s very important if you want to be happy in any country in the world. I have enjoyed living in England, both in London and in Manchester, and I enjoy the English culture. But I still feel Spanish.

Are there any British habits or customs you have adopted like drinking more tea or calling everyone ‘mate’ like we do?
(Laughs) Well, sometimes I do use slang, especially with my English team-mates. They speak normally like that, with slang, so if you want to understand them you have to speak like them! I try my best.

You seem to be very keen on travel. Which is the best place you have been to in England or Britain, outside of Manchester and London?
There are lots, I could not say one. When I was living in London, I used to go everywhere in the city but outside the city as well. Since I came to Manchester, I have been to Hale and Bowdon, obviously, but I have also been to Chester. A few weeks ago I was down in Oxfordshire, close to Oxford. I went to the Lake District, I went to the beach as well in Wales. So I try to discover new places around Britain and I think it’s a country that gives you a lot of places to go.

You take some great photos as we have seen on Instagram. Is photography a passion of yours?
Yes but I am just a beginner. I think I’m good but I’m not. That’s what new technology makes you think – that you’re a good photographer because you have a nice camera. In reality, I’m not a very good photographer but I like to take photos about almost everything that I am doing. Wherever I am, I always think there is a good photo to take.

Have you found yourself listening more to British music since you came here?
Yes, but I listened to it before as well. I always liked groups like The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and The Kinks but I have discovered more since coming here. Sometimes Wayne puts some music on in the dressing room and I really like, for example, Stereophonics - I think Wayne knows them and they’re a great group. I also like Radiohead. I think this country is famous for having a lot of very, very good bands who are known all around the world. I am a fan of music and I am a fan of them.

Have you become fond of any British foods?
Well, on a day like this one, which is grey, rainy and cold, it’s nice to have a pie like a meat pie or beef pie, whatever you call it. If you go to an English restaurant in somewhere like Wilmslow or Knutsford, there are some nice places there and you can have a nice beef pie. I like them.

If you could bring one aspect of Spanish life to this country, what would it be?
Obviously I miss my family so if I could bring all my family here it would be nice. I don’t know… (Thinks) People in Spain are very friendly, very open and very funny as well in some places, but English people are as well. (Thinks) Maybe the timings because I am used to eating later in Spain and taking things easier, not be as rushed as the English are used to. I would bring my family here if I could but outside of that, from the lifestyle, I would bring the more relaxed timings.

The full version of this interview appeared in Inside United, the club's official magazine. Subscriptions and copies are available to purchase at manutd.com/magazine.

Credit: Manutd.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home