Will Power

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Smalling Hopes To Return Against Arsenal

Chris Smalling hopes to return in Sunday’s Barclays Premier League blockbuster against Arsenal and maintain the form that has arguably made him Manchester United’s most consistent performer this season.

Smalling missed Thursday’s Europa League match against Midtjylland at Old Trafford with an injury sustained in the Emirates FA Cup tie at Shrewsbury Town, yet the 5-1 victory over the Danish champions was only the second match he has missed this season. The increasingly influential defender now hopes he can maintain that impressive consistency upon his return to the starting XI.

“Touch wood, that carries on,” Chris explains in Sunday’s edition of United Review. “I was disappointed to miss the other night, but I'm hoping to be okay to play this game. I've not really done anything differently to the other lads but, probably from about halfway through last season, I got on a good run in the team and I've just tried to carry that on from there. Long may it continue.”

Sunday’s match is particularly important for United with time running out to secure a place in the Premier League’s top four, which carries Champions League qualification with it. The fixture also has an emotional significance for Smalling after supporting Arsenal as a child.

“I always look forward to these games,” says Smalling in the matchday programme. “It’s no secret that I was an Arsenal supporter growing up, so this fixture is even bigger for me and especially given it involves two of the biggest teams in the country. I hope I can step out onto the field.”

Asked which of the matches against Arsenal stand out from his career, Smalling suggests three key outings. “The one at the Emirates when Wazza scored [in November 2014]; that was a good away win. We’ve had some very good performances at home as well.

"The 8-2 was a great day. When Welbz [Danny Welbeck] scored the winner for them in the FA Cup last season, that was a bit of a killer blow, but overall I feel like we’ve done quite well against them.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home