Will Power

Friday, February 26, 2016

The Turning Point For Memphis?

Memphis Depay's Man-of-the-Match display and goal against Midtjylland may prove to be the turning point in his Manchester United career, according to Louis van Gaal.

The left-winger was outstanding in the 5-1 mauling of the Danes and will be entrusted with a key role in Sunday's Barclays Premier League clash with Arsenal after showcasing his skills throughout the Europa League triumph and scoring the final goal.

By his own admission, the Netherlands international has struggled to recapture the electric form he showed soon after arriving at Old Trafford but, after having a major hand in both Nikolay Bodurov's own goal and Ander Herrera's penalty, he can be more than pleased with his night's efforts.

"I'm very happy for him," said van Gaal. "You need these kind of matches and he played fantastic. He can play fantastic so maybe it's a turning point. You never know. I hope it is, with all my heart, but we have to wait and see. Arsenal is another level.

"I think he was fantastic. Of course, everyone has seen that. It was also spectacular, I think, to see and watch him but I hope he shall show it also against Arsenal. As I say, it's another level but I think I'm very confident he shall do that."

Memphis won our Man-of-the-Match award on Twitter with 74 per cent of the vote, ahead of two-goal debutant Marcus Rashford (21 per cent) and Joe Riley (five per cent). "It was probably his best game for United and the best I've ever seen him play," commented MUTV's David May.

The man himself told BT Sport: "Tonight was good and we enjoyed it out on the pitch. Everybody could see that. We are very happy to go through and we have to keep this spirit in the team as we move forward to Sunday."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home