Will Power

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Fosu-Mensah Learning From Experience

Tim Fosu-Mensah says it was a "special" experience to play his part in Manchester United's FA Cup semi-final win over Everton at Wembley.

Of course, the day could have ended differently for the defender and the Reds when Fosu-Mensah was adjudged to have fouled Ross Barkley in the area which led to a Toffees penalty. David De Gea's spot-kick save delighted everyone in a red shirt, none more so than Fosu-Mensah who once again showed his quality.

The man himself was still buzzing when he spoke to ManUtd.com after the match and says he hopes he can build on what has been a very pleasing couple of months for him since breaking into the first team.

"It was special. It's a great stadium and great atmosphere. It was very special to play in this stadium," he beamed when asked to sum up the semi-final.

"It's been an exciting few weeks but I still have to learn a lot of things and that's what I'm trying to do. Keep learning, keep improving and try to develop as a player and train hard every day."

Fosu-Mensah has recently contributed to helping the Reds go top of the clean sheets table in the league and he saluted the impressive defensive pairing of Chris Smalling and Daley Blind, plus the consistently fantastic form of De Gea as being key to the achievement.

"Chris and Daley communicate so well with me. Everyone in the defence is great, of course David as well. He's a top goalkeeper and he saved us again on Saturday," he added. "You can see the partnership between Daley and Chris and how they express themselves, they're a great pair.

"I'm enjoying playing full-back but I'm happy to play anywhere the manager wants to put me. I just do my best and try my hardest."

Jesse Lingard spoke before the semi-final about the fearlessness he, Fosu-Mensah, Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford have all played with this term. His team-mate concurs, but adds that the support from the experienced members of the squad has been invaluable.

"It's about confidence but I think we all try to do what we always do and just play our football," he continues. "We work hard, I work hard and I want to learn a lot. I'm open to learning a lot. I do my best and listen to the coaches and the senior players like Wayne, Carras, Chris and Daley. I listen to them all and try to do something with it.

"The senior players just help me with what I have to do on the pitch, where I have to stand sometimes and other things. It helps me a lot."

The Dutch defender's all-action displays have thrilled the United fans and, while he says it's a great feeling to see the supporters' reaction, he insists there is plenty more to come.

"I'm very delighted [to see the fans' reaction] but, as I said, I have to keep working hard," he insisted. "I just try to keep my head cool and try to do what I always do when I play and focus on playing my game."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home