Will Power

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Romero: Much At Stake Against City

Sergio Romero will be ready if called upon for Wednesday's EFL Cup clash with Manchester City - and the Manchester United goalkeeper insists only victory will do for the Reds.

Jose Mourinho's men go into the match on the back of a hugely disappointing defeat at Stamford Bridge in the Premier League, while City are without a win in five games in all competitions.

Wednesday's match is therefore an important one for both sides, but Romero, who was speaking to ManUtd.com before the recent run of matches against Liverpool, Fenerbahce and Chelsea, insists that no matter the current state of affairs, a derby meeting in a cup competition is always one you want to win.

"I think that whenever you play against your biggest rivals or in a derby game, it’s a massive game because there’s always a lot at stake," Romero told us. "There is that desire, ambition and belief that defeat is out of the question in every game, but especially in this one.

"Everyone has to be mentally focused that these games just have to be won. These are special games, the sort where even when you’re carrying an injury, you still want to play. So they are games where you must play well and where you simply have to win.

"We also know that, for us, this is a period of development. I played my first game against Northampton and so I know I’m feeling good in myself that I can perform in any match when the manager calls on me, needs me or it’s my turn to play. For me and similarly for my team-mates, we need to keep growing and developing in the right direction so the group as a whole feels better and more solid.

"It’s going to be an enjoyable match for the fans; it’s a derby game. It’s one of those special competitions where you have to win in order to play in the next round and, God willing, we can come away with a similar result to the last round, with a win for United, so we can keep progressing in this tournament."

City are the current holders of the trophy after beating Liverpool at Wembley in a dramatic penalty shoot-out last February. Romero's friend and Argentina international team-mate, goalkeeper Willy Caballero, was the star man on the day with three shoot-out saves.

Romero admits that, as a keeper, playing a decisive role in a cup final would be a dream for him, but maintains that he'll be happy as long as the team continue to progress in the competition.

"I think it would almost be like a gift from the Lord if something like that were to happen to me!" he added. "We know that on many occasions that the penalty shoot-out can be a lottery, because it can depend on whether we’re on form as keepers or whether the takers strike the ball well or fluff their shots. You have days when it all goes right for you and you’re on top form, like he was on that day, where his reactions were great and he made some top saves.

"All I would like to do for the moment is to be on the pitch and be able to help out my team-mates where I’m able to. If anything like that were to come about, then yes, I’d certainly welcome it, but if it doesn’t, like I say, just being a part of things and playing and doing my bit so that the lads can achieve the right result is the most important thing here.

"Currently it’s my turn to be on the sidelines and I’m helping all I can from there. But it’s natural that you’re keen to play and do more for the cause from within the side as it were, and then you can be doing something active and helping the group."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home