Will Power

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Ibrahimovic Honoured By Statue Tribute


Manchester United striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic has spoken of his pride to MUTV after it was announced that a statue will be erected in his honour in his homeland of Sweden.

On Monday, the Swedish FA revealed plans to build a monument of the frontman outside the Friends Arena in Stockholm, after he had collected the country’s Golden Ball award for the 11th time.

It’s a fitting tribute to the widely-travelled star, who scored a record 62 goals in 116 appearances for Sweden before retiring from international duty in the summer.

And in an interview with the club’s official channel, the charismatic 35-year-old expressed his delight following the news.

"It’s incredible. Normally you get a statue when you pass away, but I am alive," he said. "I’m super happy. I’m honoured. Sweden is my country and whatever I do, I represent Sweden; I will always go back there.

"I cannot describe the words; the whole career I went through, it has been a big adventure with many things happening and this is the outcome – I get a statue. I cannot ask for more."

The statue, which is being created by artist Peter Linde, is a 2.7-metre version of the trophy presented to Zlatan at the same time as his latest Golden Ball. And the subject is happy with its arms-aloft design.
"It’s like a gesture or a movement from a game – a typical Zlatan movement," he continued.

"I’ve gone through it; I’ve been a little bit critical because I wanted the statue to be like me: massive, powerful, magic, wow! All these combinations I wanted to get into it, but he’s done a great job – he’s a great artist. He has his way of seeing things and he made it like a symbol that would live forever."

Despite his superstar status and unwavering self-confidence, Zlatan admits that, growing up in humble surroundings in Malmo, he would scarcely have imagined he would be immortalised in his capital city.

"I come from a small area in Malmo – the ghetto, they call it – and I get a statue in the capital city of Sweden," said Ibra, whose mother and father emigrated to Sweden from Croatia and Bosnia respectively.

"I wouldn’t have believed it because I felt different; I didn’t feel like the other ones – where I came from, because of my background. But I believed that I would take over the world, that’s for sure."

Jose Mourinho, who coached Ibrahimovic while the pair were at Inter Milan in the 2008/09 season, heaped praise on his forward after the plans were announced.

"In his country they have a few big personalities in terms of sport, but at football level he wins the Player of the Year award year after year and he has done so much for the country," Mourinho told MUTV.
"It is not usual to get a statue when you are still playing, but it is much more beautiful this way."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home