Will Power

Friday, March 3, 2017

Carrick: Why I Am Reuniting The Team Of 2008

Michael Carrick has revealed why he decided to reunite Manchester United's 2008 team for his richly-deserved testimonial match at Old Trafford.

The fundraising fixture on Sunday 4 June will feature members of Sir Alex Ferguson's Premier League and Champions League-winning squad of nine years ago, as they take on an All-Stars XI featuring the best players Carrick has faced in his career.

The Reds vice captain, who joined from Tottenham Hotspur in the summer of 2006 and is United's second longest-serving current player after Wayne Rooney, told a press conference on Thursday: "I’m immensely proud to be granted the testimonial and very thankful to the club.

"This date [4 June] was given and having it at the end of the season meant that it would have been difficult to get a full, current Manchester United squad playing against another team.

"So I had the idea of bringing the old 2008 team back together again and it’s just taken off from there. It [2008] is certainly my most special moment."

The likes of Edwin van der Sar, Gary Neville, Rio Ferdinand, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs will all be in the United line-up, while Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard and former Reds striker Michael Owen are among those already confirmed for the All-Stars team.

"The All-Stars team is going to be a selection of players I’ve played against - some of the best," said Carrick.

"They will be announced in the next few months leading up to the game. There's a challenge on me because it’s up to me to put the teams together, so there's a bit of responsibility on me for that.

"As for the 2008 team, obviously I’m asking everyone to play but whether everyone can make it will depend on their schedules. Some lads are still playing, so I can’t guarantee it’ll be 100 per cent the full team but I'm pretty sure it'll be most of the team."

Carrick began his media briefing by watching a montage of his career highlights at United, from winning his first Premier League title in his debut season in 2006/07 to helping the Reds lift the EFL Cup as recently as last weekend. The 35-year-old has won 16 trophies in total - five Premier Leagues, a Champions League, an FA Cup, the Club World Cup, two League Cups and six Community Shields.

"I've had 11 unbelievable years at the club and watching that back, [I'm reminded that] a lot has gone on during that time," he said, in response to the video.

"There have been some real highs and obviously some lows along the way. I've had a great time and it's surpassed anything I could have dreamed of when I joined the club."

All money raised from the testimonial will be distributed to charities through the newly-created Michael Carrick Foundation. It will aid the development of children under the age of 16 in both Manchester and Newcastle, where Carrick grew up, and it's a cause that means a lot to the midfielder.

"Once the club came to me about the testimonial, my first thought was that I want the proceeds to go to charity - that was a no-brainer," he said.

"I’ve always had it in the back of my mind that I want to set up the foundation. It’s something I’ve been passionate about for quite some time and this is just the ideal opportunity to kickstart it for me.

“Setting up the Michael Carrick Foundation gives me a good feeling. It’s very satisfying to be in a position where I’m able to do this.

"I’m also looking into working with the Manchester United Foundation in doing something in Manchester – perhaps two or three small projects, it depends on the funds raised from the game.

"My idea is to do something in Manchester and something in Newcastle, where I’m from, as well. When I was growing up I spent a lot of time at Wallsend Boys Club, which had an absolutely massive influence on me as a person and as a footballer.

"For me to do this, it has to [result in] something that's needed in the area. There’s no point in me building a facility if it’s not quite right for the area so I’m really conscious of that."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home