Will Power

Friday, March 23, 2018

Pereira out to prove Mourinho right

Manchester United goalkeeper Joel Pereira says he is determined to prove manager Jose Mourinho right when it comes to fulfilling his potential.

The boss clearly admires the youngster's talents, declaring last summer that the 21-year-old can become "the best Portuguese keeper of the next generation."

Although Pereira has made only one substitute appearance this season, in the Carabao Cup win over Burton Albion, he has been on the bench a total of 11 times in 2017/18. The opportunity to work alongside two international no.1s in Spain's David De Gea and Argentina's Sergio Romero is one that should not be understated.

Swiss-born prospect Pereira is in a 23-man squad for Portugal Under-21s' games against Liechtenstein and Switzerland during the international break. The latter fixture, a Euro 2019 qualifier, is being held in Neuchatel, where he started his career with Xamax.

"I'm very happy," Joel told ManUtd.com. "As the number three, I have two top goalkeepers in front of me, and they help me a lot too.

"They have lots of experience and they can help me with that. Obviously, I have a manager who has helped me so much and has always been by my side. I’m learning a lot so I am happy where I am.

"Obviously it’s very nice to hear good stuff coming from the manager. Now is my time to show people that he’s right about me and everything he says is actually the truth.

"I'm just learning and getting some experience. We’ll see what happens next."

Pereira, who joined the Reds in 2012, had a successful loan spell with Portuguese club Belenenses last season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home