Will Power

Saturday, November 11, 2006

My time is up.....

I think that when people are reaching some point in their life whereby it is of marriageable age, their parents will somehow feel that they have to do something to assist their kids. So, how do they do it? Some may indirectly drop hints, and some may take action in their own hands by arranging matchmaking sessions.

I think you will have some idea what this posting is about. Yes, I am reaching a stage in my life whereby my parents would love to see me settling down, have kids and to reach another point of my life where I have to undertake many responsibilities.... .

I am 26 years old, still single and have not been involved in any relationship in my life. Can I be categorised as the last living dinosaur on earth, or be put on display beside them in a museum? Well, I don't really think so. =) I think that there are some people out there who is in the same boat as me.

What really happen that trigger me to write this posting? Let me explain....

I was surfing the net and replying to e-mails just like some other normal day when my mum happened to steal a look at the title of my e-mail message that read "Greetings from Japan". Here is a conversation between two of us:

Mum: "You have Japanese friends?"
Me; "No, I have friends from Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Usa, Russia and a lot more."
Mum: "How about Singapore?"
Me: "No."
Mum: "Why?"
Me: "I don't know."
Mum: "You have a picture of your Japanese friend?"
Me: "Here."
Mum: "Wow! So beautiful! How old is she?"
Me: "22."
Mum: "You know Japanese?"
Me: "I can understand a little."
Mum: "How do you write to them?"
Me: "In English."
Mum: "That's good, but why no Singapore friend?"
Me: "I don't know."
Mum: "You should make friends from Singapore, slowly ask them out for a meal or to the movies." "If they are suitable for you, then can consider to be your girlfriend."
Me: (Deadpan) "Ok."
Mum: "People your age are getting married already." "Some even have kids."
Me: "........." (Stunned)

My parents have been recently reminding me that my time is up. (Not my life, but my life as being single). I do not know what they will do in the future, but I think that its going to be quite drastic, maybe matchmaking session?

If you ask me whether will I be frightened at the prospect of me being a bachelor all my life, I have to admit that alarm bells are ringing in my head already.

I am a rather shy person and have little friends, therefore its hard for me to get in contact with girls. I can count with one hand the number of times I have been on a one to one "date" with a girl. The "date" will somehow be the first and last time that we have ever met.

What can I really do now? Shall I do something, or let nature takes its course? Where exactly is cupid anyway? Is he lazing around somewhere?

Lastly, I think that the best thing is to remain positive, make as many friends as possible, pray hard and continue praying hard. You just can't force this kind of marriage thing right?

Regards
Wilson

PS: If you are interested in making online friends from all over the world, here is the address: www.interpals.net
Enjoy!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This thing can't be rushed. It takes two people to make a relationship. I always believe there's someone out there for you and me. That special someone. Where is she/he right now? I can't say.

Just keep this in mind, when the cupid gets to work - shoot that arrow, hug the moment and learn to never let go. You are still young, I'm not sure what's the norm age for Singapore guys to get married, but in Canada, most are over 30s. You still have quite a bit to go.

Finally, the reason that those dates are your first and last cause there are no sparks between teh two of you. Trust me, when you encounter that special someone - you will be electrified :)

Nia

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home