Will Power

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Sir Alex Proud Of His Moscow Marvels

Sir Alex Ferguson paid tribute to his newly-crowned European champions, claiming that his current side could become the greatest in the club's history.

“I think this has got the makings of our best ever team,” Sir Alex told TV reporters after the final penalty kick confirmed United's glorious victory.

“This is an amazing achievement, it’s fantastic. As a club, we started the sojourn into Europe in 1955. And we deserve to get this trophy now.”

Sir Alex also felt his side’s third European triumph was written in the stars, coming 50 years after the Munich air disaster and 40 years after the Reds first lifted the European Cup at Wembley in 1968.

“I think there was a sense of fate about it. It was also my first penalty shoot out win in a big game. I’ve won Charity Shields, European Cups, Scottish Cups, but this is the first one in a big game.”

“I think we deserved to win the game,” he continued. “In the first half we were fantastic and we should have been 3-0 up. But they scored right on half time, they got a lucky break there, and I thought Chelsea were the better side in the second half.

“But in extra time we got better and I’m just delighted for all the people here and my players. I’m very proud of my team.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home