Will Power

Monday, December 8, 2008

Ronaldo Collects Ballon d'Or

Cristiano Ronaldo shrugged off the disappointment of picking up an injury against Sunderland by collecting the Ballon d'Or on Sunday.

The Portuguese winger romped to the award last week, seeing off his peers to snare the most prestigious individual honour in football.

Upon collecting the trophy, Ronny told French TV station TF1: "I'm very happy. I've always dreamed about winning it. I'm very moved and I'd like to take this opportunity to dedicate this trophy to my family, they've helped me get here.

"I thank my mother, my father... my close friends. I had a whole list of people I wanted to thank but it's difficult, I can't remember as it's too emotional. The trophy is splendid, marvellous, very beautiful. I've waited for this."

Flanked by Sir Alex Ferguson at a glitzy ceremony in Paris, Ronaldo was keen to pay tribute to those who had helped him clinch the award.

"I'm very touched," he said. "But I'd like to thank my fellow professionals especially my team-mates without whom I wouldn't have been able to win the Ballon d'Or.

"It's also thanks to them that I have this award. I was 18 when I came to Manchester. I always had great hopes of becoming a great footballer, in Europe and the world and that's what I've always tried to do - to improve year by year. It's not been easy but I don't regret anything that I've done to get here."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home