Will Power

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Berbatov The Perfectionist

Dimitar Berbatov talks about his Old Trafford career to date in an exclusive interview...

So Dimitar, are you pleased with how your first season is going?
Yeah, I think I can say I’m pleased so far. But even when things are going great, I keep on telling myself I need to do more. I’m a perfectionist, I set high standards. Everything I do, I want it to be perfect. I know it can’t be perfect every time, but that’s my aim. If it’s near perfection, I suppose I’m happy.


You reached double figures with your goal against Spurs. Have you - or the boss - set any targets?
I know some players like to do that, to give themselves a figure to aim for. That’s not for me. I just want to play my part in the team and help United win trophies with goals, assists and my play. The main goal is to win the league. I’ll be happy if we do that with my 10 goals, 15 goals… or if I’d scored only five goals.


You also have the most assists in the Premier League, which says a lot about your contribution to the team…
I hope people appreciate that because sometimes I take more pleasure making an assist than scoring myself. I know it sounds strange for a striker to say that, but for me it’s not strange at all. I like to make goals too. Michael Carrick’s pass for my goal against Tottenham – what a great ball! It was my goal, but at the same time it was Michael’s.


You’re a very different player to forwards like Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tevez – what do you feel you personally bring to the team?
We’re all different players here, not just the strikers. There are so many different qualities, but mixed together we make a very strong team. That’s the success of the manager and the club. He’s built a strong team with lots of different talents, that’s one of our biggest strengths. You can have great players, and not have a team. Here, we have everything.


People often talk about your unique style of play. What do you think about the things that you hear and read about yourself?
Some days you read the newspapers, some days you’re better off not reading them! Everyone has the right to an opinion. Half the people might like me, the other half might not. But throughout my life I’ve had high expectations for myself, so I just try to make the non-believers into believers.


You never appear hurried or under pressure when you play. Where does that comes from?
I’m a relaxed guy! I play that way and I can’t change my style. That’s the way I prefer to play. I watch games and see guys who panic on the ball – they look so nervous on the ball. I sometimes know what I want to do before the ball comes to me, so I can be calm. I still have work to do before I’m completely happy with my game, but I’m getting there. The boss tells me not to change anything… he gives me the freedom to express my qualities.


A few of your recent goals have been match-winners. Does that make them even more special?
The last-minute goal against Bolton felt really great, but not just because I was the one who scored it. It was because we kept going right till the very end. Some teams stop fighting after 80 or 85 minutes. We keep on fighting and fighting, always believing we can win. Carlos did the hard work and left me to just nod it in the goal.


The Reds' record at Old Trafford is outstanding. How much of a difference does playing at home make?
It makes a big difference. When you’re in the tunnel and you hear on the speakers, “Please welcome the champions of England, the champions of Europe and the champions of the world,” you just believe that you are going to crush anybody that is in your way. I get goosebumps every time I walk out at Old Trafford. It’s great. Teams come here and stand off in the first 10 minutes. I know what that’s like – when I came here with Tottenham, you’re aware of the history, the big stadium, the fans... Luckily now I’m on the other side!


Dimitar Berbatov was speaking to Ben Hibbs for United Review and ManUtd.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home