Will Power

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Welbeck Welcomes Loan Prospect

Emerging Manchester United striker Danny Welbeck insists he is happy to go out on loan this season.

Manager Sir Alex Ferguson has predicted bright futures for both Welbeck and midfielder Tom Cleverley, but says the duo must gain regular playing experience at another top-flight club.

Sunderland have already shown interest in 19-year-old Welbeck, who spent time on loan at Preston last term before suffering a knee injury, which required surgery.

And the youngster, who has impressed during United's summer tour, says he is content to go along with any short-term career plans Ferguson has lined up for him.

"My main aim is to be part of the first team set-up but I am happy to go on loan if the manager wants me to. I just want to keep playing games and improving," said Welbeck.

"I feel I have improved a lot over the last couple of years in particular. I have learned so much during that time particularly the importance of mental strength on and off the pitch. I just want to keep improving and striving to show everyone what I can do.

"I am really pleased with how the tour has gone for me so far and I am happy with my performances. I have got to keep going and continue to get my fitness up."

Welbeck scored during last week's win against Celtic in Toronto, and is preparing to face Kansas Wizards on the next leg of United's pre-season tour, which takes in Canada, the United States and Mexico.

The striker has expressed his admiration for United's senior outfield players such as Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Dimitar Berbatov, admitting it is an honour to be included alongside them in the squad.

"It is always good to be away with a few of the older lads because you pick up so much from them every day," he said.

"You see how they prepare for games, how they rest and how they train. They are unbelievable - they have this huge determination to win every single training match, let alone actual games. Just to be around them is a real privilege."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home