Will Power

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Learning From The Best

Chris Smalling has credited United’s centre-half pairing of Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand as the main inspiration behind his impressive start to life at Old Trafford.

Last summer's arrival from Fulham has been a revelation for the Reds considering his lack of experience at the highest level. And although Jonny Evans played ahead of him at Wolves, Smalling has still made 11 starts so far in his first season - the majority of these as Vidic's partner in Ferdinand's absence. It's a baptism of fire that's brought the best out of the former Maidstone United man.

Smalling told MUTV: “It is a massive boost for me to play with Vidic. He is one of the world's best central defenders so to get the chance to learn my trade next to him is invaluable. He is always talking to me, which makes my job a lot easier when I step into the team.

“Vidic has had the biggest impact on the team this season. That is why we have been so solid at the back. He has been an ever-present, which just shows how formidable he has been this season.

“His partnership with Rio Ferdinand is something I admired from afar even before I came here. To be able to train with them each day, interact with them and pick up bits and pieces is just a bonus.”

Smalling also admits his surprise at how quickly he has settled in to life at United, considering he made the formidable jump from non-league to Barclays Premier League and onto UEFA Champions League football in just three years.

The defender admits: “A lot of the young lads have been here for many years, I only came here in the summer and I wasn't at Fulham for too long. I have surprised myself in how settled I have become. A lot of my family come up quite often. I feel really at ease.

“Manchester is quite different to London. There is more hustle and bustle in London. It is a bit more chilled out up here. I only live five minutes from the training ground. It is nice and easy. Nothing is too far.

“Each game that you play in makes you feel like you belong here. Hopefully there are many more to come. I really feel good at the moment.”

One thing he can’t get used to is the expectation and pressure of playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world football, although the England Under-21 international says he is quickly learning the United way.

“It is all new for me being heavy favourites for so many competitions. A lot of the lads have been through this. They pass on their experience of getting through to the latter stages of games. They give you little pointers in terms of things like coming back at Blackpool. Wins like that help you to kick on and learn what this club is all about.

“Everyone becomes a lot more focused when you come towards the critical stages of the season. A lot of these players have been through it every year. A lot of other clubs have not been through that. The experience in our squad really helps.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home