Will Power

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Berbatov Eyes American Return

Dimitar Berbatov may be enjoying his summer break at the moment, but you can bet Manchester United’s pre-season tour of the USA next month will be well and truly in the striker’s thoughts as he relaxes following a record-breaking season.

The Bulgarian helped the Reds make history last term and, alongside Manchester City forward Carlos Tevez, topped the Barclays Premier League scoring charts.

Despite press speculation linking him with an Old Trafford exit, Berbatov is adamant he’ll stay and fight for his place and expects to be involved when United head to the States in July for a five-game pre-season tour.

Speaking exclusively to ManUtd.com in May, Berbatov said: “I’m looking forward to the tour because I really enjoyed my time in America last year. Everybody was very nice and friendly and the cities are very interesting.

“We’ll see a few different places this year and meet different people, which is good. I must admit, a lot of people, including myself, were hoping we would go back to America this year. We’re all excited.”

The Reds’ three-week jaunt across the Atlantic will give fans in Boston, Seattle, Chicago, New Jersey and Washington DC the opportunity to watch Sir Alex’s men in action… and the United players a chance to explore a country that Berbatov admits holds special appeal.

“There are a lot of things I love about America, including the movies. So many great films have been made there. I also like watching the NFL a lot – I don’t have a favourite team but I always watch the Superbowl – and I’ve been to Miami a few times and like that part of the world. When I finish playing I think I’ll go back to America and explore the country a bit more.

“Before then, I’m looking forward to going back with United. The pre-season tour isn’t so much about team bonding – we know each other already and are all very close. It’s more about getting our fitness levels up and preparing for the season so when the first game arrives you’re in top shape.

"If you have a good pre-season you really enjoy the dividends once the real thing kicks off in August.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home