Will Power

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Rio: Don't Write Me Off

Rio Ferdinand is confident in his own ability and will not pay attention to critics saying his best days are in the past.

The Manchester United defender faces increased competition for a place in the side at Old Trafford, while he was left out of the England squad to face Montenegro as Fabio Capello felt he had not played enough games this season.

He has had to deal with a long line of muscular problems since being struck down by a back injury at the end of 2008 and there have been suggestions his time at the very top of the game could be coming to an end.

With Phil Jones excelling on his debut in Podgorica and Bolton's Gary Cahill forging an effective central defensive partnership with John Terry, there are plenty who feel Ferdinand will not even get to Poland and Ukraine next summer.

But the former West Ham star has heard it all before and after an outstanding display in Saturday's 1-1 draw at Liverpool, he confirmed he has no desire to pay any attention.

"I have had people writing me off many times in my career," he said. "I just go out and play. I am confident in my own ability.

"Whatever anyone writes doesn't bother me whether it is good or bad.

"I wasn't in the England squad so I just have to shrug my shoulders and get on with it.

"I am not one to sit around and moan and mope."

Ferdinand is not too worried about what happens with England just at the moment as he concentrates on performing well for United.

"At the forefront of my mind is Manchester United and making sure we remain successful," he said.

"I have had a couple of little niggles but I have been training hard the last couple of weeks and I feel very good."

Ferdinand has five Premier League titles and a Champions League winners' medal to his name with United, but insists he remains as hungry as ever for silverware.

"People are talking about it as though I must be getting bored after 10 years," he said.

"But the motivation of playing for Manchester United never goes.

"The feeling you remember is winning. If you could bottle that feeling when you sit down on the pitch or in the dressing room, after you have just been given a trophy, you would be a billionaire. You want it all the time.

"If you get bored of that, you shouldn't be playing football."

Ferdinand added: "If you get beaten in training there is normally an argument or finger pointing.

"That desire never wavers. When you pull on that shirt you cannot go out there with a feeling any less than wanting to win.

"I have said from the day I arrived to the day I leave you will be judged on what you won. You can be a great player and win nothing, then you don't get remembered.

"You have to be part of a team that wins. That is the driving force behind this squad."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home