Will Power

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Jones Is A Midfield Option

Sir Alex has added to the praise being lavished on Phil Jones and admits the former Blackburn youngster is an option to play in the Reds' midfield.

Jones filled the role for England against Spain and Sweden and also featured in the middle of the park during the 1-1 draw at Liverpool earlier in the season.

Coach Fabio Capello likened the teenager to Franco Baresi after being impressed with his versatility and the manager has also been bowled over by his swift integration at Old Trafford.

"I think since he has joined us, his improvement has been really, not remarkable, but eye-catching in the sense that we know he’s 19 years of age, we know it’s a big step up from Blackburn to United, but he’s been absolutely fantastic," enthused Sir Alex.

"He can play anywhere, I’m sure of that, he’s versatile, he’s two-footed, he’s quick, he’s got good perception of the game. So I’m not surprised what Fabio is saying. I think he can be a really influential player for us and England in the next few years."

Tom Cleverley's prolonged absence has caused some concern regarding the midfield but the manager is convinced he still has enough alternatives to Jones in that area.

"We have options," he added. "Michael Carrick is back, we’ve got Darren Fletcher, Ryan Giggs. I can play Phil Jones there if I wish, we’ve got Darron Gibson coming back, Wayne Rooney has played there. Ji-sung Park can play there and we’ve done that in the past with him. So I have options and I’m not overly worried about it – I’m happy."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home