Will Power

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Boss Praises Rooney


Manchester United manager David Moyes praised Wayne Rooney's work-rate and demeanour after fielding the forward for ninety minutes against Chelsea on Monday night.

The Reds striker - the subject of a summer bid from the visiting side - was named in the starting line-up under Moyes' management for the first time since the pair were together at Everton, and Rooney responded to the recall with a busy, energetic performance.

"I was very pleased with Wayne's performance and very pleased by the reaction from the crowd," said Moyes. "That wasn't unexpected - I expected it.

"I told him I might only play him for 60 or 70 minutes and see how he was. But he worked back, he tackled and he was great. He closed two or three people down in the corner and the crowd realised the work he did.

"He was desperate to score and nearly scored with an overhead kick in injury time."

The manager added that he feels Rooney, the player he mentored at Goodison Park, is currently in prime condition for United, both mentally and physically.

"He's been great in training and anyone who has looked at him has seen a slightly leaner Wayne. I think Wayne has a positive mind at the moment. I don't think that needs to change. I think his attitude showed a lot tonight."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home