Will Power

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Moyes Rues Missing Magic

David Moyes bemoaned the lack of 'cutting edge' shown by Manchester United during Monday's goalless draw with Chelsea in his first home game in charge at Old Trafford.

With little to choose between the sides in what was a match of few chances, the new United boss was quick to praise his players, while spotting room for improvement in the final third.

"I thought we played well and was disappointed we didn't get a goal for it," Moyes said.

"We lacked a little bit of cutting edge in the final pass or cross tonight. But, it was tough, Chelsea defended well when they had to, and I thought if anyone shaded the best chances it was us.

"We went with three forward players as we wanted to try to make sure we won the game. There will be lots of games where I'll decide not to play an attacking team, but that won't make me a defensive coach. Just like tonight doesn't make me an attacking coach. Tonight we felt that was the best approach.

"We did everything we could, we just lacked a ball to get Robin [van Persie] away for a chance to score, or Danny [Welbeck] that opportunity. We had one or two close calls, but it just wasn't going to go in tonight."

The Reds had claims for a penalty turned away by in the second half, after Tom Cleverley's effort appeared to strike Frank Lampard's arm. Match referee Martin Atkinson declined to award a spot-kick, leaving Moyes to call for clarification of the rules after the game.

"I think that’s two penalty decisions in a week against Chelsea which have been good shouts," said the United manager. "I thought the referee gave a handball on Oscar about five minutes later which was less of a handball than the one in the box, so I think it could do with getting cleared up.

"I don’t think the managers are quite sure of what is and what isn’t a handball. I think the referee had a good game, but it was a big call for a penalty kick in a game like this."

As for reflections on his first competitive match at Old Trafford as the home boss, Moyes said: "I'm extremely proud to be managing Manchester United and I was very happy with the reception I got. But I want to be applauded in the future for winning things."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home