Will Power

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Robson: RvP Has Years Left

United legend Bryan Robson feels Robin van Persie should look to follow Teddy Sheringham's example if he wants to continue playing for another decade.

Inspired by working alongside Ryan Giggs, the Netherlands striker has outlined a clear goal to prolong his career and feels he has many years left at the top as he approaches his 31st birthday.

"I want to play as long as possible for the national team," Robin revealed this week, ahead of skippering his country at the World Cup finals. "If my body allows it, I'd like to play until I am 40."

Robson, who played for Middlesbrough just 10 days before turning 40 in 1997, has suggested van Persie could emulate ex-United striker Sheringham, who remains is the oldest outfield player to appear in the Barclays Premier League at 40 years and 270 days.

"A player like Robin van Persie can do it with the way he looks after himself," Robson told ManUtd.com. "All he can do is look at the likes of Teddy Sheringham. Being a centre-forward, it is a little bit more difficult to play to the level they set themselves until the age of 40 but Sheringham proved you can be capable of doing that if you are determined enough."

Robson is adamant some footballers are written off too early and stresses there is plenty of evidence to support his case.

"People in the press often go on about players being too old as soon as they get to 30," he stated. "I can always remember that I left United when I was 38. I won a couple of titles, the European Cup Winners’ Cup, the FA Cup, and so I can never believe in this talk. If you a determined, like a Ryan Giggs, you can extend your career.

"If you look at Steven Gerrard’s performance for Liverpool at Old Trafford last season, it shows these players should never believe what the media is saying. As soon as somebody in their thirties has one bad game, it’s always a case of him being too old. As a former player myself, I certainly don’t believe that."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home