Will Power

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Evans Rues Careless Errors In Cup Exit

Jonny Evans blamed "sloppy mistakes" for Manchester United's shock 4-0 Capital One Cup defeat to MK Dons - but insists his team-mates will learn from the setback.

The Reds bowed out of the competition at the hands of the League One club, having started with a team showing ten changes from Sunday's frustrating draw at Sunderland.

Evans captained United at Stadium:mk on his return from injury and told MUTV after the defeat: "The lads are disappointed. We started the game really well and could have got a goal or two.

"But then there were some sloppy mistakes, including my pass for their first goal and from that point we made it quite difficult for ourselves."

"Once we had to start chasing the game their superior fitness levels showed, because most of our team hadn’t played in a while.

“For the first 15 minutes we were well in control, and I’d like to think we might have got a goal there but it wasn’t to be. It was just sloppy mistakes which cost us in the end, and once we went two behind there was no way back for us."

The defender expressed his delight at being named captain for the clash, and believes the club's younger players will learn from the result.

“It’s a massive thing in my career to captain Manchester United," he added. "While I was disappointed with the result, wearing the armband isn’t something many people get to do, so I’m proud of that.

“In circumstances like these, I’m sure the manager would like to blood debutants alongside more experienced players, but because we played on Sunday I don’t think that was possible. There’s a consequence of that, I learnt that myself on my debut against Coventry a few years ago, but it’s a big learning experience. I think the most important thing is to pick yourself up, learn from it and don’t dwell on it too much."

Evans also had his say on the arrival of Angel Di Maria from Real Madrid, after United broke the British transfer-record to sign the Argentine winger.

“We hear things in the press like everyone else, but I think the club have always said that they’re willing to spend. Angel’s a fantastic player, so I’m sure the lads are excited to work alongside him.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home