Will Power

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Philosophical Carrick Using His Experience

When I suggested to Michael Carrick last week that he was, unfortunately, now one of the oldest members of the squad, the 33-year-old corrected me. "I'm THE oldest!"

The fact the clock is ticking was a recurring theme during his interview at the Aon Training Complex as the Manchester United star has clearly been thinking about the future during his enforced spell on the sidelines. The majestic midfielder is one of those people who seems to have crept towards his mid-thirties under the radar, which is a credit to the consistency of his performances.

Perhaps the focus was always on elder colleagues such as Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs but, with those peers moving into retirement, there is no escaping the fact that Carrick is one of the key senior members remaining at Louis van Gaal's disposal and his excellent displays as a substitute at Manchester City and, in his first start under the Dutchman, against Crystal Palace only highlighted what he brings to the party.

A calming influence with a stabilising effect on the team, he passes with confidence and authority and often makes vital interceptions and tackles. One perfectly-judged challenge on Fraizer Campbell brought cheers from the Old Trafford crowd on Saturday while his winning of an aerial battle in the closing stages led to some sighs of relief.

When Carrick returned in the derby, he found five team-mates he had never played with before but took the changes in his stride. "It’s been fine, to be honest," he insisted. "I’ve been around the boys for a while now as I’ve been training for four or five weeks with them. Of course, it was different. Little things are slightly different in the way we play and things you have to learn. So not being part of the pre-season tour and the early part of the season meant I lost a little bit of that. But I think I’m up to speed now and I’m not behind in any way."

Of course, it was not his first outing of the season - that came in the Under-21s' clash against West Ham. The fact it was against his first club only highlighted how much has changed since he departed the East Londoners. "It's frightening how long it is since I left," he conceded. "Time is ticking now!"

Unsurprisingly giving his standing at the club, he earned praise from coach Warren Joyce for his attitude on and off the field. "He was different class as a man and as a professional," enthused Joyce. "In the whole environment, in the hotel and the build-up to the game and the match itself, he was just a proper pro. It was good to see habits like that from senior players who are full internationals. It helps with the things we demand of the players when they see in real life what a Manchester United player and a Manchester United person is."

The midfielder strolled through just over an hour, oozing class in a manner he would replicate for the first team against Palace last weekend. "It was probably five months since my last game at the end of last season," he said of the experience with the youngsters. "It's a long time - especially as you get older. You don’t want to be out of the game for so long at all so it was great to be back with the boys. It’s a great bunch we’ve got there, they’re honest and have got a great attitude. Hopefully, they can learn from the older players as that is what I have done when I was younger so it was nice for me to go and to help out."

His selfless assisting of the youthful members of the Under-21 squad begs the obvious question as to whether the England international will look to move into coaching when he does eventually hang up his boots. "I’m doing my coaching badges now and going through them," he revealed. "It's one of them – whether I use them or not, who knows what opportunities will come further down the line? Certainly, I’m doing them now and learning that side of the game. Like I said, when I was younger, I always looked up to the older lads, whether it was for advice or watching them myself to see how they coped with things and prepared for training and games. So I think, as an older player, I’ve now got to set an example to help the younger boys and, hopefully, they can take it on board."

The ability to pass on his extensive knowledge may be coming naturally to Carrick but is he still able to learn from his new manager at this stage of his career? Louis van Gaal has a reputation for developing players of all ages and was clearly counting on the veteran when breaking the news of the ankle operation during his unveiling at Old Trafford back in the summer.

"He was great with me," explained the influential midfield pivot. "It was pretty much his first day in the door when I got injured and I was going off for an operation on that day [of the press conference] when he was coming in. It wasn’t the ideal start but that’s the way it goes.

You’ve got to deal with things. I was trying to get fit and trying to be positive and he has been great, along with his staff, in encouraging me and, thankfully, now I’m back.

"Of course [he can teach me new things]. I don’t think you ever stop learning. Obviously, he’s got his own ideas as he’s been around Europe at the biggest clubs and has achieved pretty much everything in the game. Of course, for me, it’s great to have something new like that and I am learning every day and picking up different things. Yes, the results and points tally have not been great, but there is a real positive vibe around the place that we’re not too far away from achieving and being where we want to be."

Once his England duties are fulfilled, that will be the next item on Carrick's agenda - and the early evidence after his surgery suggests he is going to be a key cog for van Gaal's team as the more hectic winter period approaches. Hopefully, any worries about the sands of time can be pushed far into the background as he maintains such a huge influence on the Reds and can knit things together in midfield.

Credit: manutd.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home