Will Power

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Romero Is Ready For The Fight

Manchester United goalkeeper Sergio Romero feels his head is in the right place to perform well whenever he is called upon to play.

The Argentinian has made eight appearances for the Reds this season – all in cup competitions – and is yet to concede a goal in the Emirates FA Cup so far, having played in the three previous rounds against Derby County, Yeovil Town and Huddersfield Town.

Speaking to United Review, the official programme, ahead of Saturday evening's quarter-final clash with Brighton & Hove Albion at Old Trafford, Romero said he works hard for every opportunity to play.

“The fact that Jose [Mourinho] allowed me to play in the Europa League [last season] showed the confidence he had in me,” said Romero, who kept a clean sheet as United beat Ajax 2-0 to win that particular competition last May.

“I never leave anything to chance. I always work hard to be ready for when my chance comes.

"My priority is being ready 100 per cent, in good shape both physically and mentally, because I'm not just fighting for many things for my club. I'm also fighting for many things at international level, so I'm someone who has his head in the right place to perform well."

Following the disappointment of going out of the UEFA Champions League in midweek, the FA Cup is now a clear priority for the Reds, who are looking to win the trophy for the second time in three years after lifting it in 2016.

But Romero insists the fact that Manchester City, Liverpool and Arsenal have already been knocked out proves the perils of looking too far ahead.

"We know that it's a tough competition, we know that there are seven other teams who also want to win this weekend and to progress," said the 31-year-old.

“But we are focused on our work and I’m sure we will be in peak condition. We don’t treat this as a secondary competition, we see it as a competition where we need to get to the final and win it."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home