Will Power

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Gill Wins Reserves' Gong


Oliver Gill has been named the Reserve Player of the Year for 2011 after a consistent season alongside Scott Wootton at the heart of the Reds' defence.

The 20-year-old beat off competition from fellow defenders Wootton and Joe Dudgeon to land the Denzil Haroun trophy after also being short-listed last season. A loan move to Bradford enabled the Surrey-born stopper to play five games last year for the Yorkshire outfit to further his experience and he also earned call-ups to United's first-team bench for the wins against Bolton and West Ham.

"I think I’ve had a good season and have progressed during the campaign like a lot of the reserves and I’m really pleased to get the award," said Oliver, after receiving his trophy from reserves boss Warren Joyce.

"It’s been great to be involved with the first team this season. You learn a lot about how the players prepare for games, hear what the manager says before games and you get to experience the big match atmosphere. I just want to keep progressing as I have done the last few years and maybe next season I'll go out on loan again and get a few appearances for the first team."

The award is the second piece of silverware for Gill this week after helping the reserves win the Manchester Senior Cup against Bolton on Monday night.

"I think I’ve had a good season. I have progressed during the campaign like a lot of the reserve players. I’m really pleased to win the award."

- Oliver Gill

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home