Will Power

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Rooney Strike Is Top Goal

Wayne Rooney’s jaw-dropping overhead kick in the 2-1 win over Manchester City has been voted Goal of the Season by United fans around the world.

The gravity-defying effort, which was described by Sir Alex Ferguson as “probably the best goal scored at Old Trafford”, was the clear winner with a whopping 68% of votes.

"To score a goal like that in such a big game was a great feeling. It’s something I’ll never forget and it’ll stay with me until the day I die," beamed Wayne after collecting his prize at the club's annual awards dinner on Wednesday night. "It was just pure instinct. Nani’s cross took a little deflection so I had to adjust my body, but thankfully it went in the top corner. There’s no better feeling than scoring a goal like that in such a massive game."

It's the second year running that Rooney has scooped the accolade - he won it for 2009/10 with his goal in the 3-1 win over Arsenal at the Emirates.