Will Power

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Fans Honour Hernandez


Javier Hernandez has capped a phenomenal debut season for United by scooping the prestigious Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year Award.

The accolade is voted for by fans across the world on the club’s official websites and honours United’s best player in the 2010/11 campaign.

Chicharito, who has scored 20 goals this term to help the Reds win the Barclays Premier League and reach the Champions League final, was presented with the trophy at a glittering gala dinner at Old Trafford on Wednesday night. And the man himself was delighted.

"I have to say thank you so much to the fans," he said. "They have helped me a lot. I think this was a difficult decision to make and I don’t think I deserve it because it hasn’t been just one player who has played well. We are a team.

"I also must thank my family who came over to England with me and helped me a lot, and of course I’ve had great support from the boss, my team-mates, the coaches and all the staff at the club who have all helped me feel very happy and very comfortable here.

"I dreamt about playing for Manchester United and thought perhaps in my first season I’d play for the Reserves with maybe a few minutes in the first team. But thanks to the boss and all my team-mates I have played a little bit more!

"It’s an unbelievable feeling to have won the league title," he added. "I knew all about the history at Manchester United when I joined and how important it is to win every tournament you play in and thankfully we have won the Premier League."

Chicharito picked up 21% of the votes to pip Nani (20%) into second place, with skipper Nemanja Vidic (16%) completing the top three.

The Mexican becomes the sixth player to receive the award at the end of his first campaign for the Reds, following Brian McClair (the inaugural winner in 1988), Gary Pallister (1990), Ruud van Nistelrooy (2002), Cristiano Ronaldo (2004) and Gabriel Heinze (2005).

Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year – the top three:

1. Javier Hernandez (21%)
2. Nani (20%)
3. Nemanja Vidic (16%)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home